In a few words, we shall look into the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) which was signed at the 70th session of the United Nations General Assembly in New York. On the 25th day of September 2015, countries adopted these new goals as part of a new sustainable development agenda.
The #SDGs otherwise called the #GlobalGoals or the 2030 agenda comprise of 17 goals which were agreed on by world leaders to guide policy and funding for the next fifteen years. The goals are strategic and interconnected and this means that success on one goal will ultimately tackle some issues of/from another goal.
New areas have been included such as climate change, sustainable consumption, peace and justice, economic inequality and innovation. The inclusive approach of the SDGs is such that they unite us globally as we tackle common pressing challenges ranging from poverty, to insecurity and conflict, and climate.
The SDGs require partnership of Private sector, civil society, governments and citizens to make sure we leave a better planet for future generations (Source: UNDP)
- Goal One – No Poverty. End
#poverty in all its forms everywhere
- Goal Two -Zero Hunger. End
#hunger, achieve #foodsecurity and improved nutrition and promote #sustainable agriculture
- Goal Three – Good
#Health & Well-being. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Goal Four – Quality Education. Ensure inclusive & equitable
#quality #education & promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Goal Five – Gender Equality. Achieve
#genderequality and empower all #women and girls
- Goal Six – Clean Water &
#Sanitation. Ensure availability & #sustainable #management of #water & sanitation for all.
- Goal Seven-Affordable and Clean
#Energy. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, #sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Goal 8- Decent work &
#Economic Growth. Promote sustained, #inclusive & #sustainable economic growth, full & productive employment & decent work for all
- Goal 9 – Industry, Innovation & Infrastructure. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive & sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Goal 10-Reduced Inequalities. Reduce income
#inequality within and among countries.
- Goal 11 –
#Sustainable Cities and Communities. Make cities and human settlements #inclusive, #safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Goal 12 – Responsible consumption & production. Ensure
#sustainable consumption & production patterns.
- Goal 13-
#Climate Action. Take urgent action to combat #climatechange & its impacts by regulating emissions and promoting development in #renewables
- Goal 14 – Life Below
#Water. #Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for #sustainabledevelopment
- Goal 15 – Life on land. Protect, restore and promote
#sustainable use of terrestrial #ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat #desertification, and halt and reverse #landdegradation and halt #biodiversity loss.
- Goal 16 -Peace, Justice & Strong Institutions. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Goal 17 – Partnerships for the Goals. Strengthen the means of implementation & revitalize the
#globalpartnership for #sustainabledevelopment
Stay on with us as we share MORE on Sustainability, Sustainable Development, Sustainable development Goals and Solutions that can be easily implemented towards a future we want.
sdgs.gov.ng, sustainabledevelopment.un.org, undp.org
Photo Credit: un.org/sdgs