WBG is seeking to recruit a Senior Environment Specialist to be based Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire to support a broad portfolio of lending, policy dialogue and safeguards activities for SAFE1. The Selected candidate will work under supervision of the Practice Manager for SAFE1 based in the WB ‘s Washington office. He/she will have the following main duties and responsibilities:
Duties and accountabilities:
Operations and Policy Dialogue:
• Task lead the preparation and implementation of environment, climate and natural resources management operations, co-lead or be a technical team member on operations led by other GPs and PGs including development policy operations and IPFs, conduct timely project preparation, implementation support missions, catalyze project disbursement and provide technical leadership on ENB related topics.
• Lead policy dialog on environment, climate and natural resources management with the government and other stakeholders. With attention to the agro forestry dialogue, which is the focus of ENB intervention in Cote d’Ivoire.
• Represent ENB in developing and implementing sector strategy and assists in country-specific policy work (CEA, SCD, CPF, etc.)
• Proactively participate in other key GP dialogue (e.g. agriculture, governance, land tenure, competitiveness, water, etc.) and represent ENB GP is such a dialogue.
• Represent the Bank in donor meetings on the environment; and contribute to knowledge generation and diffusion within the region and beyond.
• Support the CMU and represent the team in environment and climate meetings in-country. Participate in CMU Leadership Team meetings and coordinate closely with the SD Sector leader.
• Support practice manager in the WPA preparation and discussion with CMU
• Prepare briefs and talking points on key ENB issues and report, as needed to CMU, on progress of ENB activities.
• Advise clients in the Government and consultants on environmental policy and technical matters, and conduct on-the-job and formal training for the clients and consultants
Safeguard/ Environment and Social Standards :
• Serve as the point person for environmental safeguards policies and/or environmental and social standards (ESSs) in Cote d’Ivoire and coordinate all environmental safeguards/ESSs activities between projects, share information with Task Team Leaders, project team members, staff/consultants responsible for projects’ environmental safeguards/ESSs management, and other regional staff working on the environmental and NRM agenda.
• In close coordination with other Environment Safeguard Specialists; ensure safeguard/ standard compliance of selected projects; determine the appropriate Environment and Social risk classification of the project you are working on; guide the borrower/project implementation agency in process of preparing the necessary safeguard instruments; contribute well-written summaries of key safeguards instruments for inclusion in project documentation; ensure that projects are executed in an environmental sustainable during their implementation period.
• Masters or PhD degree in environmental science, natural resources management, environmental or civil engineering, or other relevant disciplines.
• Deep technical expertise in at least two of the following subjects: 1) Forestry, protected area management, biodiversity, 2) coastal zone management; 3) pollution, air, water, waste management or 4) landscape restoration (agro forestry);
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience of proven, relevant experience in environmental management sector.
• Work experience in West Africa is a plus;
• Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally-related data and information
• Familiarity with the World Bank Group’s organizational structure, its Policies and procedures including knowledge of Bank Environmental and Social Standards
• Team Leadership – Leads teams to achieve challenging outcomes, providing a role model and enhancing the team-leadership skills of team members
• Excellent oral communication and writing skills in French and English. Fluency in French is a requirement for this position.
• Advanced working skills in multiple software applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
• Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs.
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
• Make Smart Decisions – Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
• Lead and Innovate – Develops innovative solutions.